Wednesday 20 June 2012

And so it begins...first blog with all its frustrations!

After fighting the idea for some time, I have given in. I realized that people really DO read blogs, they really DO follow blogs, and blogs...work. So here we are.
So what do WE do here, on the prairies, on the farm?
We focus on our herd of Registered La Mancha and Registered Nubian Dairy goats. A lifetime of the goat business is what we have acquired here...milking goats from the get-go. I "used to" go to the shows, and win, I "used to" do DHIA milk testing, I "used to" spend a lot of time visiting various goat breeders, chatting about goats, the industry, breed improvements...but now I just have settled down to doing my own thing. No longer show because of the heavy politics in the show ring. No longer do DHIA as it is time consuming, costly, and never made any financial gain for me. No longer spend much time visiting other goat breeders due to distances and time (but have email, yeah, and that works just fine for "visiting"). I continue to breed for breed improvement, and dual purpose goats, with colors - I love colors, and enjoy looking at my goats, so a wildly colored goat is interesting to look at ANYTIME. We handmilk does twice daily, bottle raise our kids, disbudd EVERYTHING, make cheese, make yogurt, skim cream for my coffee (nothing beats fresh goat cream in a good coffee!), and use our goats in a practical way. We cull heavily and culls are sold for meat, as are surplus buck kids and those kids I feel just can't cut the mustard. I love my goats.
We also raise a few sheep, some Llamas, a few Alpacas (just because), horses, Araucana Chickens that lay blue and green eggs...Chinese Crested hairless dogs. I also breed plants, mostly perennials, a few houseplants. Never a boring day on the farm here!
As I figure this thing out, I will add pictures and information on things and stuff we have for sale...likely first on the list will be our farm...OUR FARM IS FOR SALE...we want to move to another farm, so this one has to sell - so now is your opportunity! Well, will get the details up here shortly for anyone who may be interested.
Guess that is it for now...mornings start early here! Have a great evening!

2 comments: